Roger K. Pitman, MD
120 Second Avenue Charlestown, MA 02129
About the Expert
Dr. Pitman is Professor of Psychiatry at Harvard Medical School and an internationally recognized academic researcher, teacher, and clinician with 150 publications on post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), including 8 on its forensic aspects. He is board-certified in psychiatry and forensic psychiatry. He has 26 years' experience as a forensic psychiatric consultant and expert witness.
Areas of Expertise
- PTSD - Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
- 1965 A.B. cum laude, Amherst College
- 1969 M.D. cum laude, University of Vermont College of Medicine
- Masschusetts Medical License #53966
- New Hampshire Medical License #6355
- 1969-1970 Medical Intern, Boston City Hospital, Boson, MA
- 1970-1973 Resident in Psychiatry, Boston VA Hospital-Tufts New England Medical Center Collaborative Program, Boston, MA
- 1985 Research Fellow in Behavioral Neurology Beth Israel Hospital, Boston, MA
- American Psychiatric Association (Distinguished Life Fellow)
- American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law (Member)
- American College of Neuropsychopharmacology (Fellow)
- 1994 International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies Award for Outstanding Scientific Achievement in the Field of Posttraumatic Stress Disorder
- 2009 International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies Lifetime Achievement Award
- Sparr LF, Pitman RK. PTSD and the Law. In Friedman MJ, Keane TM, Resick PA (Eds.) Handbook of PTSD: Science and Practice: New York: Guilford Press, 2007:449-468.
- Pitman RK, Orr SP. Forensic laboratory testing for post-traumatic stress disorder. In Simon RI (Ed.) Posttraumatic Stress Disorder in Litigation: Guidelines for Forensic Assessment, 2nd Ed. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Press, 2003:207-223.
- Sparr LF, Pitman RK. Forensic assessment of traumatized adults. In Saigh PA, Bremner JD (Eds.) Posttraumatic Stress Disorder: A Comprehensive Text. Boston: Allyn & Bacon, 1999:284-308.
- Pitman RK, Sparr LF. Post-traumatic stress disorder and the law. PTSD Research Quarterly 1998;9(2):1-6.
- Pitman RK, Sparr LF, Saunders LS, McFarlane. Legal issues in post-traumatic stress disorder. In van der Kolk BA et al (Eds.) Traumatic Stress: The Effects of Overwhelming Experience on Mind, Body, and the Society. New York: Guilford Press, 1996:378-397.
- Pitman RK, Saunders LS, Orr SP. Psychophysiologic testing for PTSD. Trial 1994;30:22-26.
- Pitman RK, Orr SP. Psychophysiologic testing for post-traumatic stress disorder: Forensic psychiatric application. Bulletin of the American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law 1993;21:37-52.
- More than 200 publications in the psychiatric literature, mostly on PTSD
- 1973-1975 Active Duty Staff Psychiatrist, Naval Regional Medical Center, Newport, RI; Lt Cmdr, Medical Corps, U.S. Naval Reserve
Listed in the Following States
Roger K. Pitman, MD is listed with ExpertPages in the following jurisdictions: All US Regions and States, Canada (all Provinces).