Water Resources Consulting Services, Inc.
Rick Van Bruggen, P.E., D. WRE
P.O. Box 13837 Palm Desert, CA 92255
About the Expert
Mr. Van Bruggen has over 35 years of Water Resources Engineering experience, and 25 years of Expert Witness experience, in matters pertaining to watershed hydrology, river and floodplain hydraulics, highway drainage system design, flood control and storm drain systems, dams and levees, reservoir operations, forensics of flood events and drownings.
Areas of Expertise
- Civil Engineering
- Hydrology (Water Issues)
Rick Van Bruggen Interview with ASCE on Being an Expert Witness
- M.S. IN WATER RESOURCES ENGINEERING University of California, Los Angeles, California
- B.S. IN WATER RESOURCES ENGINEERING University of California, Los Angeles, California
- PROFESSIONAL CIVIL ENGINEER - California
- PROFESSIONAL CIVIL ENGINEER - Arizona
- PROFESSIONAL CIVIL ENGINEER - Nevada
- PROFESSIONAL CIVIL ENGINEER - Oregon
- Certified Floodplain Manager (CFM), Association of State Floodplain Managers, 2015.
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
- American Council of Engineering Companies (ACEC)
- Forensic Expert Witness Association (FEWA)
- American Public Works Association (APWA)
- Floodplain Management Association of California (FMA)
- DIPLOMATE, WATER RESOURCES ENGINEER (D.WRE) American Academy of Water Resources Engineers (AAWRE)
- PERFECT STORM: The Science Behind Subrogating Catastrophic Flood Losses
- City and State Storm Drain System and Stream Channel Design Evaluations, Honolulu, Hawaii.
- Hydraulic Evaluation of Municipal Storm Drain System Using XP-SWMM Model, Atlanta, Georgia.
- State Highway System Drainage Design Investigations, Alameda and Orange Counties, California.
- Evaluation Of Irrigation District's Reservoir Operations and Their Impacts On Downstream Levee Failures, San Joaquin County, California.
- Hydraulic Forensics of Sacramento Valley Levee System Failure, San Joaquin River System, California.
- State Levee Project Hydraulic Evaluation, Bethel Island, San Joaquin Valley, California.
- Hydraulic Modeling of Train Trestles Effect on Winery Flooding, Napa, California.
- Forensic Re-enactment of Dam Failure Scenarios, Kauai, Hawaii.
- Review of Professional Standards for Reservoir Release Decisions and Their Effects on Downstream Flooding, Cowlitz River, Washington.
- Hydrologic Modeling of Flood Releases From Hydroelectric Dams by State Power Authority, Santee-Cooper River system, South Carolina.
- Effects of Reservoir Releases on Downstream Flooding During Hurricane Event, Escatawpa River, Mississippi.
- Evaluation of Dam Hydraulics and Project Signage in Connection With Drowning, Lynchburg, Virginia.
- Modeling of Hydraulic Conditions Surrounding Multiple Drownings, Ohio River, West Virginia.
- Hydraulic Evaluation Of COE River Structure Linked To Drowning, Picayune, Mississippi.
- Detailed Hydrologic and Hydraulic Modeling of Reservoir Spillway Operations by Electric Utility Leading to an Increase In Downstream Flooding , Grand Prarie Texas.
Percentage of time spent as expert
Number of expert assignments / year
Listed in the Following States
Water Resources Consulting Services, Inc. is listed with ExpertPages in the following jurisdictions: All US Regions and States, Canada (all Provinces).