Smith Aquatic Safety Service
David S. Smith, PhD
8050 Jack Pine Dr. Ypsilanti, MI 48197
About the Expert
Commander, USCG(ret); retained in 600+ cases since 1981: Drowning, Diving, Jet Skis, Water Skiing, Pools, Beaches, Hypothermia, Alcohol, Life Jackets, Environmental Stressors, Accident Reconstruction., Lifeguarding, and Boating Accidents. Water rescue / boating safety training seminars for fire, police, lifeguarding nationally. Lecturer and author in aquatic accident causation-prevention, boat/water safety and rescue. His text 'Water Rescue' is valuable for both attorneys and water rescuers.
Areas of Expertise
- Aquatics Safety Water Rescue
- Boating and Watersports Accidents
- B.S. Naval Science (Honors), U.S. Coast Guard Academy, 1960.
- M.Ed. American University, Washington, D.C., 1970.
- Ph.D. Education, Saint Louis University, St. Louis, MO, 1981 (minor--psychology).
- Certifications: National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians.
- National Safety Council, Safety Training Institute.
- Various State Nursing Boards.
- American Red Cross: Lifeguard, Water Safety Instructor; Boy Scouts of America: Life Guard, Eagle Scout, Quartermaster Sea Explorer, Scoutmaster, Sea Explorer Skipper
- Emergency Services Instructor of the Year, 1998. Illinois E.M.T. Assoc., Springfield, IL.
- Australian Volunteer Coast Guard Honor Recognition, 1985.
- AAPHERD, Aquatic Council Honor Award, 1983.
- National Association of State Boating Law Administrators National Award, 1981.
- National water Safety Congress, National Award 1981; Regional Award, 1980.
- U.S. Coast Guard Achievement Medal, 1981.
- National Safety Council, Marine Section, Chairman's Award, 1980.
- North Central States Boating Law Administrators, 1979.
- U.S. Coast Guard Commendation Medal, 1979.
- Rhode Island Boating Council/International Hypothermia Conference-University of Rhode Island, 1979.
- George Washington Honor Medal, Freedoms Foundation, Valley Forge, 1970.
- Cokesbury Scholarship, American University, 1968.
- Water Rescue: Basic Skills for Emergency Responders. Hanover, MD: Mosby Lifeline, 1993.
- The Spexcercise Handbook (with M.C. Smith). St. Louis: SPX, 1989.
- Water Wise. (Aquatic Safety, Near Drowning, Hypothermia Manual) (with S.J. Smith). St. Louis: SASS, 1984 (Rev. 1987).
- Aquatic Safety, Cold Water Survival, Hypothermia Manual. St. Louis: SASS, 1982.
- Hypothermia, Cold Water Survival, Critical Care Supplement. St. Louis: SASS, 1982.
- SMITH'S Teaching Tips. St. Louis: SASS, 1981 (Rev. 1985).
- Handbook of Cold Water Survival. St. Louis: Second Coast Guard District, 1978.
- USCG Aids to Navigation Manual (CG-222). Vol. I & II. Washington, D.C.: USCG Headquarters, 1972.
- Many articles in Waterways Journal, Fire Chief Magazine, The Physician and Sportsmedicine, USCG Academy Alumni Bulletin
- Media presentations, inc. Fire and Emergency Television Network (FETN), Law Enforcement Television Network (LETN) and the Encyclopedia Britannica Educational Corporation.
- Commander, USCG (RET)
Listed in the Following States
Smith Aquatic Safety Service is listed with ExpertPages in the following jurisdictions: All US Regions and States, Canada (all Provinces).