Michael Levine, Consulting
Michael Levine, Federal Agent, Retired
PO Box 533 Stone Ridge, NY 12484
About the Expert
Michael Levine is a 50-year courtroom veteran as a supervisory federal agent, police instructor and police trial consultant. His expert trial testimony in Use of Force, Undercover Tactics, Informants, Blind Mules, Money Laundering, Narcotics trafficking, Interrogations and all facets of criminal investigations has been accepted in Federal and State courts in 19 states, Puerto Rico, and numerous foreign nations. In January 2008, he authored the Police Student Manual "Undercover Tactics and Informant Handling" for the New York State Department of Criminal Justice Services. Since his retirement from the Drug Enforcement Administration in 1990, he has been retained on more than 500 civil and criminal actions, depending on the facts, working for plaintiffs, defendants and police agencies. A list of his latest cases may be found at www.policetrialexpert.com.
Areas of Expertise
- Criminal Informants
- Deadly or Excessive Force
- Police Practices and Activities
Michael Levine testifies in Alaska police discrimination case.
60 Minutes on informants
- June 1965: BBA degree in Accounting with a Minor in Economics from Hofstra University (fluent in Spanish)
- OTHER SIGNIFICANT TRAINING AND BACKGROUND RELATED TO LAW ENFORCEMENT:
- -IRS Intelligence Schools (Special Agent School,Tax Law School)
- -US Treasury Schools (Treasury Law Enforcement Academy)
- -BAFT Schools (ATF Investigator School, Bomb Investigation and Weapons School, seminars on Gun Crimes, Pursuit Driving, and more)
- -US Customs Schools (Special Agent Academy, Sky Marshall Training, seminars on Conspiracy Investigation, Security Assessment, and more)
- -DEA Schools (Senior and Mid Level Management Schools, seminars on Drug Related Death, Crime Scene Investigation, and more)
- Michael Levine holds a New York State Private Investigator License and a pistol carry permit.
- Michael Levine is currently a NY State Police Instructor and Independent lecturer in the following subjects:
- - Effective Use of Law Enforcement Experts (for Attorneys)
- - The Blind Mule Defense / Unwitting Criminal Participation (for Attorneys)
- - Informant Recruitment, Management, Corroboration and Protection (for Police and Attorneys)
- - Investigating the Crime of Drug/Narcotic Trafficking; Domestic and International
- - The Use of Undercover Tactics and Informants for Entrapment
- - The Drug War - Behind the Scenes
- - Undercover Tactics in Business
- COPS (Concerns of Police Survivors): An organization of families of police officers killed in he line of duty
- Survivors of the Shield: An organization of families of New York City police officers killed in the line of duty
- New York State Shields: Lifetime membership
- National Organization of Police Concerns
- American Society of Law Enforcement Trainers
- Association of Former Intelligence Officers
- Association of Former Federal Narcotic Agents
- Geopolitical Drug Watch
- International Association of Narcotic Enforcement Officers
- Police One: Internet association of serving and retired law enforcement officers
- Michael Levine was considered among the most highly decorated agents in the history of DEA. A complete list of his more than 70 law enforcement awards and citations, which include citations received from federal prosecutors for providing outstanding expert testimony, is available on his website www.policetrialexpert.com
- Deep Cover (nonfiction, Delacorte Publishers, March 1990). New York Times bestseller, since republished by special arrangement between the Author’s Guild and iUniverse. Numerous foreign translations. Now available as an ebook.
- Fight Back: How to Take Your own neighborhood Back From the Drug Dealers (nonfiction, Dell Publications, 1991). Recommended reading by the Clinton Administration Drug Policy Office for communities with drug problems. Republished in 2006.
- The Big White Lie (nonfiction, Thunder’s Mouth Press, 1993). Co-written by Laura Kavanau-Levine. Numerous foreign translations. Now available as an ebook.
- Triangle of Death (realistic fiction, Delacorte, 1996). Also co-written with Laura Kavanau-Levine. Now available as an ebook.
- NY State Police Training Manual: Undercover Tactics and Informant Handling. (2008). This manual is currently in use by the US State Department.
- Michael Levine has also had articles published by the New York Times, New York Newsday, The Los Angeles Times, The Narc Officer, Extra, Spin, Prison Life, Utne Reader, Extra and many others (copies available).
- 1958-1961: US Air Force. Served as military police officer and sentry dog handler. Strategic Air Command – Base Security Division of Air Police.
- 1993-1994: Named as member of the Mayoral and City Council ATM Task Force at the special request of Mayor David Dinkins. The work of this task force resulted in new laws increasing security at the 25,000 automated teller machines in the City of New York.
- 1992-1993: Drug Bureau Chief Barnstable County, Mass. (Cape Cod) Sheriffs Department.
- 1973-1990: Drug Enforcement Administration. During this period, Mr. Levine was considered one of DEA’s top Undercover/Deep Cover and international narcotic trafficking specialists. He was charged with design and orchestration of some of the government’s most significant national and international Deep Cover and conspiracy investigations. Expert Witness: During his career as a DEA officer, he qualified as an Expert Witness testifying as to Undercover Tactics, Controlled Delivery operations, Narcotic trafficking, Informant Handling, Organized Crime, Conspiracy, Use of Force, investigative procedures and other matters directly and/or peripherally related to violations of US Narcotic and conspiracy laws, on more than 170 occasions. List of DEA positions Mr. Levine held are as follows:
- 1. Country Attaché, Argentina and Uruguay. From 1979-1982 he was the senior US law enforcement officer in the Southern Cone;
- 2. Special Operations Officer, worldwide;
- 3. Inspector of DEA field Operations, worldwide, Office of Professional Responsibility;
- 4. Desk Officer, Cocaine Desk and Heroin Desk, DEA Headquarters, Washington, DC;
- 5. Miami Airport Supervisor, Vice President’s South Florida Task Force;
- 6. Instructor/Lecturer, Public Affairs and Training Office. As part of his duties, Mr. Levine lectured federal and local law enforcement agencies on Human Intelligence (Informant Handling), Undercover & Deep Cover Tactics, Use-of-Force in plainclothes operations, Narcotic Investigations, Conspiracy and more;
- 7. Group Supervisor, New York City Field Division;
- 8. Group Supervisor, New York City Joint Federal State Task Force;
- 9. Acting Group Supervisor, International Group, New York City Field Division;
- 10. Assistant Group Supervisor FBI/DEA Task Force;
- 11. Acting ASAC (Division Leader), New York Field Division;
- 12. Liaison Officer with government of Israel;
- 1970-1973: Assistant Group Supervisor, Hard Narcotics Smuggling Division, US Customs. Also held positions of Special Agent and Special Agent/Sky Marshal. Highlights: Deep Cover investigation in South East Asia during Vietnam conflict resulting in Special Act US Treasury Award, for taking down one of the most significant international heroin smuggling organizations of the time. Expert Witness: During his career as a Customs officer, Mr. Levine qualified as an Expert Witness testifying as to Narcotic trafficking, Informant Handling, Controlled Delivery Operations, Organized Crime, Conspiracy and other matters directly and/or peripherally related to violations of US Customs laws, informant handling and other enforcement investigative procedures on more than 25 occasions
- 1966-1970: Special Agent, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms (BATF). Expert Witness: During his career as a BATF officer, Mr. Levine qualified as an Expert Witness testifying as to all matters related to weapons, narcotics trafficking, Organized Crime, Conspiracy and other matters directly and/or peripherally related to violations of laws enforced by BATF on more than 35 occasions, including but not limited to informant handling.
- 1965-1966: Special Agent, Intelligence Division of the Internal Revenue Service, OCD (Organized Crime Division).
- CV for Michael Levine
Current CV for Michael Levine
- Rule 26 Court and Deposition Testimony 2013-2019
A brief summary of notable cases from 2013-2019 with court and deposition testimony.
- Michael Levine's Recent Notable Cases and Outcomes 2019
A brief summary of the more notable outcomes of recent cases as of 2019.
- Undercover Operations and Informant Handling Manual
The attached manual will be of extreme interest to attorneys involved in law suits and/or criminal matters involving informant handling and undercover cases gone wrong. Many end up in killings and extreme uses of deadly force. The manual was first authored for the Drug enforcement Administration schools for local and state police throughout the nation. It was later (as attached) adopted for use in New York State. After this it was adopted, after DEA vetting, by the state department for instructing Brazilian national police. Recently it was republished by Academia.edu through which it is now among the top ,01% of downloads globally by police agencies and researchers.
Listed in the Following States
Michael Levine, Consulting is listed with ExpertPages in the following jurisdictions: All US Regions and States, Canada (all Provinces).