Herschel R. Lessin, MD
28 Kingwood Drive Poughkeepsie, NY 12601
About the Expert
Stanford/Yale trained actively practicing Pediatrician for more than 32 yrs. More than 28 yrs. as an Expert for Plaintiff/Defense including deposition & trial. American Academy of Pediatrics National Policy author & reviewer. Will travel nationally as needed. Practical, accurate, & unbiased opinions based solely on the merits of the case.
Areas of Expertise
- Medical Malpractice
- 1995-96 CMCE (Certified Managed Care Executive). Graduate of year-long Executive Leadership Program of the American Association of Health Plans. Via mentoring, site visits, didactic sessions and hands on experience, the CMCE isimmersed and trained in the cutting edge of managed care.
- 1980-82 Yale-New Haven Hospital, New Haven, CT Resident, Pediatrics
- 1979-80 Yale-New Haven Hospital, New Haven, CT Intern, Pediatrics
- 1975-79 Stanford University School of Medicine, Palo Alto, CA Doctor of Medicine
- 1971-75 Union College, Schenectady, NY Bachelor of Science--Summa Cum Laude
- 1981-1982 Connecticut
- 1982- New York State
- 1984-1995 Massachusetts
- 1979-1982 Yale University Pediatric Residency Program
- 1995-1996 Certified Managed Care Executive, AHIP
- 2014- Clinical Assistant Professor of Pediatrics, New York Medical College, Valhalla, New York.
- 2014- Vice-Chairman, MVP Health Services Corporation
- 2013- Member, Board of Directors, Hudson Health Plan, a managed medicaid health insurance company with 145,000 covered lives that is a wholly owned subsidiary of MVP Heahlthcare.
- 2013- Re-elected Member, Executive Committee, Section on Administration and Practice Management, American Academy of Pediatrics.
- 2012 AAP representative to the American Urological Association Committee writing guidelines for the management of Undescended Testicles.
- 2010- Ex-Officio member, Executive Committee, Chapter 3, District II, New York State, American Academy of Pediatrics.
- 2010- Elected member, Executive Committee, Section on Administration and Practice Management, American Academy of Pediatrics
- 2009- Member, Immunization SubCommittee, American Academy of Pediatrics
- 2008- Member, Editorial Advisory Board, Practice Management Online, American Academy of Pediatrics.
- 2007- Member, Committee on Practice and Ambulatory Medicine, American Academy of Pediatrics
- 2001, 2008 Re-certified as a Diplomate of the American Board of Pediatrics (voluntary)
- 2000, 04,07 Re-certified as a Certified Managed Care Executive, American Association of Health Plans
- 1997-2008 National Association of Medical Communicators
- 1994-2000 American College of Physician Executives
- 1996 Certified Managed Care Executive, Americas Health Insurance Plans (AHIP)
- 1994- Section of Administration and Practice Management, American Academy of Pediatrics
- 1987- Section of Pediatric Dermatology, American Academy of Pediatrics
- 1986- Taconic Independent Practice Association
- 1984- Diplomate, American Board of Pediatrics
- 1984- Fellow, American Academy of Pediatrics
- 1983- Medical Society of the State of New York
- 1983- Dutchess County Medical Society
- 1982-1989 Mid-Hudson Pediatric Society
- 1979-1984 Junior Fellow, American Academy of Pediatrics
- 1974- Phi Beta Kappa, Union College, Schenectady, NY
- 2009-2012 Member, Immunization Subcommittee, American Academy of Pediatrics,Committee on Practice and Ambulatory Medicine. Responsible for national Immunization policy for the Academy.
- 2008- Member, Practice Management Online Editorial Board., American Academy of Pediatrics Responsible for reviewing content, writing content, and managing the website design and structure
- 2008- Member Common Factors Teleconferences planning group. The group plans teleconferences for pediatricians nationally to improve mental health diagnostic and interviewing skills. I will also appear as an expert during the conferences.
- 2007- Member, Committee on Practice and Ambulatory Medicine, American Academy of Pediatrics (COPAM), This national level committee is responsible for reviewing and issuing practice policies and guidelines on behalf of the AAP for US pediatricians.
- 2007- Member, Executive Committee of the Section on Administration and Practice Management of the American Academy of Pediatrics.
- 2007- Member, Customer Solutions Advisory Board, Merck and Company. The board advises the company on improving customer relationships with pediatricians.
- 2007 Member, Adjuvant Advisory Board, GlaxoSmithKline. The board provided input as to novel adjuvants for vaccine products.
- 2007- Member, Follow-up Care of the High Risk Newborn, advisory board to MedImmune, Inc. The Board will be working with the American Academy of Pediatrics to develop a set ofguideline for primary care Pediatricians to use in the care of high risk and premature infants that are followed in their practices.
- 2006- Member, Strategic Planning Committee, MVP Healthcare
- 2006- Member, Quality Improvement Committee MVP Healthcare
- 2006- Member, Nominating Committee, MVP Healthcare
- 2006- Board of Directors, MVP Healthcare, Inc, a holding company comprised of multiple subsidiary corporations including MVP Health Plan, Rochester Area HMO, and multiple MVP corporations. Resulted from acquisition of Preferred Care HMO by MVP. Board is responsible for the operations of all subsidiary corporations and covers more than 700,000 lives with total annual premium revenue of nearly $3 billion.
- 2004-2008 Director of Clinical Research, Childrens Medical Group, PLLC.
- 2004- Member, Clinical Specialists Advisory Board, MedImmune, Inc. The board advises the company on clinical aspects of their pharmaceutical products.
- 2003- 2005 Chairman, Nominating Committee, Section on Administration and Practice Management, American Academy of Pediatrics.
- 2003- Process Improvement Committee, Department of Pediatrics,
- Vassar Brothers Medical Center, Poughkeepsie, NY.
- 2002- Member, Peer Review Committee, Taconic IPA. The committee reviews medical quality issues and complaints involving IPA physicians.
- 2001-2002 Member, Professional Relations/Medical Management Committee, Taconic IPA. The committee oversees communication and relationships with member physicians as well as reviews and makes recommendations about medical
- utilization management within the IPA.
- 2001-2006 Board of Directors, MVP Health Plan, a NYS Article 44 company which, with its subsidiary corporations operates a diverse array of health insurance products including HMO, PPO, EPO,POS and indemnity. The company has over 10,000 participating physicians in 5 states, over 650,000 covered lives and over $3 billion in annual premium revenue.
- 1999-2008 Board of Directors, MVP Health Insurance Company, a NYS Article 42 company which provides health care via a Preferred Provider Network of physicians in PPO, EPO and indemnity products.
- 1999 Honorary Chairperson, Vassar Brothers Hospital Mothers Club, Festival of Trees: an annual fundraising event raising money to benefit the Maternal/Child Health units of the hospital.
- 1998-2000 Attending Physician, St. Francis Hospital Family Practice Residency Program. Responsible for inpatient and outpatient teaching of Pediatrics to residents, both clinical and didactic.
- 1997- Vice-president Childrens Medical Group,PLLC. I am involved in all executive decisions and strategic planning for the group.
- 1997- Attending Pediatrician, St. Francis Hospital, Poughkeepsie, NY
- 1995-2001 Media spokesman for the Adopt an Angel fund raising campaign, Make-a- Wish Foundation, Hudson Valley Chapter. Make-a-Wish is a non-profit group that grants wishes for terminally ill children. This campaign raises nearly the entire wish granting budget for the chapter. I record TV commercials as well as news media interviews on behalf of the organization.
- 1995-1998 Board of Directors, MVP Corporate Care. The board provided policy and planning for the corporations offering of Workers Compensation Case Management services and Occupational Health services to employers.
- 1995-2007 Vice-Chairman, MVP Select Care Board of Directors--provides policy and planning for corporations offering of third party administration services to self-funded employer groups in New York State and Vermont.
- 1994-1998 Associate Medical Director, MVP Health Plan--responsible for IPA development, physician recruiting and liaison, and public relations.
- 1994-2000 Board of Directors, American Cancer Society, Hudson Valley Unit.
- 1993 Member, Global Budgeting Grant Writing Committee. At the request of the NYS DOH, local hospital officials and physicians formed a group to prepare a grant proposal to the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation requesting funding for a study of the feasibility of Global Budgeting of all health care services in Dutchess County. This was the first proposal of its type in New York State that included physician and other out-patient services within the budget. The committee drafted a grant application that forged consensus among its disparate members and interests in designing a plan to meet the needs of a rapidly changing health care environment. Funding of $1,000,000 per year was sought from the Foundation, New York State, and other sources. The grant was not funded.
- 1993- Certified, Pediatric Advanced Life Support, American Heart Association.
- 1993 Strategic Service Unit on Managed Care, Mid-Hudson Medical Center-involved in planning the future of the new medical center vis-a-vis its relationship to and involvement in managed care systems.
- 1993-2008 Board of Directors, MVP Health Services Corporation--provides policy and planning for the offering of point of service HMO and indemnity products to employers in its NYS service area and the entire state of Vermont.
- 1992-1993 Board of Directors, March of Dimes, Mid Hudson region--responsible for planning and execution of fund raisers, service projects, and distribution of funds. Guest speaker at Baby and You educational seminars offered to area employer groups.
- 1991 Attendee, NYS Department of Health Immunization Retreat. I was one of six private pediatricians invited to attend a two day retreat with state officials to examine immunization policy in reference to the state supplying free vaccine to physician offices throughout the state in order to improve immunization rates.
- 1990-1995 Member, PPAC Advisory Committee to New York State Medicaid Program. Advised in the design and implementation of the Preferred Physician and Childrens Program (PPAC). This PPO program, implemented statewide on October 1, 1990, revised the fee structure and coding requirements for the NYS Medicaid program in order to involve more quality physicians and to insure indigent children access to private practice care in the state.
- 1989 Community Publications Committee, American Academy of Pediatrics, District II, Chapter 3, New York. Served as a liaison between the Academy and local media with the goal of disseminating information relevant to the health care of children.
- 1989 Board of Trustees, St. Georges School, Poughkeepsie, NY.
- 1989 Chairman, Committee on Practice, American Academy of Pediatrics, District II, Chapter 3, New York.
- 1988-2000 Chairman, Taconic Independent Practice Association. TIPA is a group of over 2000 physicians that contracts with HMOs to deliver health care services to their insured members. As of 2008, we served over 150,000 patients. As chairman,I coordinated all IPA activities, sat on several major committees, and chaired the IPA Board of Directors.
- 1987-1988 Executive Committee, American Academy of Pediatrics, District II, Chapter 3, New York.
- 1987-1988 Secretary, Taconic Independent Practice Association.
- 1986-2000 Founding member, Board of Directors, Taconic Independent Practice Association.
- 1986-1987 Executive Committee, Dutchess County Medical Society.
- 1985-1987 Director, Special Care Nursery, Vassar Brothers Medical Center.
- 1984-1986 President, Mid-Hudson Pediatric Society.
- 1982-1984 Vice-President, Mid-Hudson Pediatric Society.
- 1982-1984 Education Director, Department of Pediatrics, Vassar Brothers Medical Center.
- 1982- Attending Physician, Vassar Brothers Medical Center
- 2014 "Recommendations for Pediatric Preventive Health Care", co-author, American Academy of Pediatrics national policy statement, Committee on Practice and Pediatrics Ambulatory Medicine E-published February 24, 2014 ahead of print publication in March 2014
- 2014 "AAP Principles Regarding Retail-Based Clinics, co-author, American Academy of Pediatrics national policy statement, Committee on Practice and Ambulatory Medicine E-published February 24, 2014 ahead of print publication in Pediatrics March 2014
- 2012 Instrument Based PediatricVision Screening Policy Statement Joseph M. Miller MD Herschel R. Lessin MD, co-lead authors, Section on Ophthalmology, Committee on Practice and Ambulatory Medicine, American Academy of Pediatrics, PEDIATRICS November 1, 2012, 130:5, doi:10.1542/peds.2012-2548
- 2012 Immunizing Parents and Adult Caregivers in the Pediatric Office Technical Report, Herschel R. Lessin Kathryn M. Edwards, lead authors, Committee on Practice and Ambulatory Medicine and Committee on Infectious Disease, American Academy of Pediatrics, PEDIATRICS January 1, 2012 ;129 (1) : e247-253,.
- 2012 Effects of Prebiotic-Containing Infant Formula on Gastrointestinal Tolerance and Fecal Microbiota in a Randomized Controlled Trial, Hannah D. Holscher, Kristin L. Faust, Laura A. Czerkies, Richard Litov, Ekhard E. Ziegler, Herschel Lessin, Terry Hatch, Shumei Sun and Kelly A. Tappenden, JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr 2012 36: 95S.
- 2011 Tool Kit for the Follow Up Care of the Premature Infant, National Initiative for Childrens Healthcare Quality (NICHQ) and MedImmune, www.premietoolkit.com.
- 2010 EEG Test Result Subgroups of ADHD Patients Showed Significant and Clinically Meaningful Differences, Poster Presentation, CADDRA (Canadian ADHD Resource Alliance), Nov 21, 2010
- 2010 Increasing Immunization Access, Lawrence Hammer MD, Herschel Lessin MD, lead authors Committee on Practice and Ambulatory Medicine, Council on Community Pediatrics American Academy of Pediatrics, .PEDIATRICS 2010 125 1295-1304.
- 2010 Practice Management Consultant, A Compendium of Articles from Practice Management Online, Contributing Author, Member Practice Management Online Editorial Advisory Board, American Academy of Pediatrics Publication, 2010.
- 2009 Hearing Assessment in Infants and Children: Recommendations Beyond Neonatal Screening, Allen D. Buz Harlor, Jr, MD, Charles Bower, MD, Committee on Practice and Ambulatory Medicine the Section on OtolaryngologyHead and Neck Surgery, American Academy of Pediatrics, PEDIATRICS Vol. 124 No. 4 October 2009, pp. 1252-1263
- 2007 Davis, J. Zheng WY, Glatman-Freedman A, NG JA, Pagcatipun MR, Lessin H, Casadevall A, Goldman DL. Serologic evidence for regional differences in Pediatric Cryptococcal infection. Pediatric Infectious Dis J 2007: 26, 549-551.
- 2006 New Lines of Business Can Help Pediatricians Survive, Thrive American Academy of Pediatrics News, 27:1:38, January 2006
- 2004 Putting Reasearch into Practice (PRIP): Counselling Parents on Picky EatersPediatric Basics 106:1:20, Spring, 2004
- 2001 School Problems in Primary Care Pediatics, Carol Green-Hernandez, Joanne K. Singleton, and Daniel Z. Aronzon, eds. Lippincott, Philadelphia,
- 2001 Acute Dermatologic Complaints, with Sharma, P., in Primary Care Pediatrics, Carol Green-Hernandez, Joanne K. Singleton, and Daniel Z. Aronzon, eds. Lippincott, Phildadelphia
- CLINICAL RESEARCH
- 2006- Member, Society of Clinical Research Associates (SoCRA), New York State Chapter
- 2005 Attendee, Good Clinical Practices for the Clinical Research Professional. Sponsored by the Drug Information Association.
- 2005- Member, Drug Information Association (DIA)
- 2005 Completed Human Participant Protection Education for Research Teams sponsored by the National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- Partial Listing of Sponsors and CROs worked with: Novartis, MedImmune, GlaxoSmithKline, Nestle, Roche, PPD, ICON, Scirex ,INCresearch, Proctor and Gamble, Ross Products Division/Abbott Laboratories, AztraZeneca, McNeil and Sanofi Pasteur
- 2007 Principal Investigator, Method Evaluation Study for Buccal Swab Analysis, an Evaluation to Determine How Many Buccal Swab Samples Must be Collected From
- a Childs Cheeks in Order to Get Enough DNA for Genetic Testing.
- 2007 Principal Investigator, An Immunogenicity, Safety, and Non-Interference Evaluation of Pediatric Vaccines Administered Concomitantly with Menactra® (Meningococcal [Groups A, C, Y and W-135] Polysaccharide Diphtheria Toxoid Conjugate Vaccine) to Healthy Toddlers, a Phase III Study.
- 2006 Principal Investigator, Tolerance of Healthy Term Infants Fed Hydrolysate Formula.
- 2006 Principal Investigator, A phase III, Single-blind, Randomized Study to Evaluate the Immunogenicity and Safety of a Candidate Flu Vaccine Compared With a Licensed Flu Vaccine Administered Intramuscularly in Children 6 Months and Older.
- 2006 Principal Investigator, A Multicenter Study to Evaluate the Growth, Safety, and Tolerance of a New Infant Milk-Based Formula Containing a New Whey Protein and Fructo-Oligosaccharides (FOS) in Healthy Full-Term Infants.
- 2005-2006 Principal Investigator, Effects of Prebiotics in Infant Formula on Fecal Microbiota A Randomized, Controlled, and Double-Blind Clinical Trial of Two Groups using an Investigational Starter Formula containing Prebiotics to Infants using a Commercially Available Product, with a Breast Fed Reference Group.
- 2005 Principal Investigator, a Randomized, Controlled, and Double-Blind Clinical Trial of Two Groups Comparing Weight and Other Anthropometric Measures, Tolerance, and Frequency of Morbidity in Infants Using an Investigational Infant Starter Formula Containing Synbiotics to Infants Using a Commercially Available Product.
- 2004, 2005 Principal Investigator, FluStar, an epidemiological influenza surveillance study sponsored by Roche Laboratories.
- 2004-2005 Principal Investigator, an Investigation of an Enhanced Potency Humanized RespiratorySyncytial Virus (RSV) Monoclonal Antibody, for the Prophylaxis of Serious RSV Disease in High-Risk Children, a Phase III study.
- 2004-2005 Principal Investigator, a Prospective, Double-blind, Randomized Trial to Demonstrate Equivalent Immunogenicity of an Investigational Product and FluMist in Healthy Participants Ages 5 through 49 Years, a Phase III study.
- 2004-2005 Principal Investigator, a 1 Year, Randomized, Double blind, Parallel-group, Placebo- controlled, Multicenter Evaluation of Efficacy, Safety, Pharmacokinetics and Pharmacodynamics of an Injectible Product in Children
- All aspects of general pediatrics.
- Specifics upon request
Percentage of time spent as expert
Number of expert assignments / year
Listed in the Following States
Herschel R. Lessin, MD is listed with ExpertPages in the following jurisdictions: All US Regions and States, Canada (all Provinces).