Jeffrey Phillip Weinstein, AIA
Office of Design and Construction
2115 Third Street, Suite 208 Santa Monica, CA 90405
About the Expert
California Licensed Architect since 1982, with Masters Degree in Real Estate Development, experienced in development, design and construction of office buildings, high-rise condominiums, multi-family residential and mixed-use projects, retail, neighborhood shopping centers and regional malls, hotels and resorts, hospitals, and schools (K-12 and University). Manage design and construction on a broad range of building types, working closely with clients, owners, architects, engineers, consultants, general contractors, subcontractors, vendors, specialty contractors, and government officials to move projects forward on time and within budget. Experience in real estate development, acquiring government approvals, entitlements & permits, architect's standard of care, construction management, claims & defects, A/E/C agreements. Expertise includes building envelope & water intrusion, zoning & building codes, errors/omissions, destructive testing & repair, schools (DSA), hospitals (OSHPD), condominiums, commercial/retail/mixed-use projects, high-rise structures, hotels & resorts. Previous employers include Nadel and Callison Architects, Tishman Construction, Trammel Crow Company, California State University, Great Wolf Resort and Goleta Valley Cottage Hospital. Testified as Expert (30+ cases) for Plaintiffs & Defendants. 35+ years Design/Build experience as Licensed Architect, Construction Manager, and Owner's Representative; 25+ years as Expert Witness. Offices in Santa Monica and Ventura County.
Areas of Expertise
- Building Codes
- Construction Claims
- Bachelor of Arts, Major in Architecture, Washington University, St. Louis, Missouri.
- Bachelor of Architecture, Southern California Institute of Architecture (SCI-ARC), Santa Monica, California.
- Master of Real Estate Development, School of Urban and Regional Planning, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California.
- California Registered Architect, License #12822
- AIA Certified in Construction Management, Contract Administration and Specifications
- Member, American Institute of Architects, Urban Land Institute, Construction Specification Institute, and Society for Marketing Professional Services
- Member, North Santa Barbara County Board of Architectural Review
- Tips to Survive Testing, Condo Management Magazine, September 1993.
- Moisture Problems Plague Flooring/Concrete Slabs on Grade, Condo Management Magazine, October 1993.
- The Water Below, Common Ground Magazine, March/April 1994.
- Apportioning Liability for Construction Defects, Management Topics Seminar, April 1996.
- Manhattan Village Solves Sites Drainage and Water Intrusion Issues with Professionalism, Condo Management Magazine cover story and photo, May 1996.
- Managing Risk During Project Delivery, AIA/LA Professional Development Seminar, May 7, 1996.
- Common Sense Strategies for Avoiding Construction Litigation, Western Real Estate News cover story, April 1999; Builder and Developer Magazine feature article, May 1999; Condo Management Magazine, October 1999.
- Whats Brewing in the Real Estate Market - Conversion Fallout, The Wall Street Journal, February 25, 2004.
- The Art of the Kitchen, Ventana Monthly. September 2011, by Lisa Snider, photos by Gaszton Gal.
- Three Bedrooms and One Art Gallery, The Wall Street Journal, August 31, 2012, by Nancy Keates.
- Year: 2013 - 2016
Case Name: Confederated Tribes Great Wolf (CTGW) v. GSBS Architects
Location: Grand Mound, Washington
Client/Attorney: Aaron Kastens, Esq., Benjamin Kaplan, Esq., Michael Best & Friedrich
Work Description: Review construction documentation including plans and specifications, prior depositions, and testify in court regarding preparation of 30+ page report itemizing Standard of Care issues of design professionals on $100+ million project, 398-room Hotel Resort with indoor/outdoor Water Park and Conference Center
- Year: 2015 - 2016
Case Name: Modica v. Cal K-12 Construction
Location: San Bernardino County
Client/Attorney: Kirk Lauby, Esq., Fernandez & Lauby
Work Description: Review project documentation including depositions, and prepare written report regarding Standard of Care for Construction Management firm representing pubic school district, due to jobsite subcontractor fatality during construction.
- Year: 2014 - 2015
Case Name: Wahl v. Perellis
Location: Montecito, California
Client/Attorney: Christopher Haskell, Esq., Price, Postel & Parma
- Year: 2014
Case Name: SP3 Rincon Owner v. 401 Harrison Investor
Location: San Francisco, California
Client/Attorney: Aaron Gundzik, Esq., Gartenberg Gelfand Hayton & Selden
- Year: 2014
Case Name: Digital Realty Trust v. Capstar Commercial Real Estate
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Client/Attorney: Adam Koss, Esq., Murphy Pearson Bradley & Feeny
Work Description: In a case where the General Contractor and Property Management team (nine individuals) were sentenced to prison terms for engaging in $10.4 million fraudulent billing and kickback scheme, review project documents to determine whether third-party Construction Manager/Owners Representative should have suspected fraudulent invoices, change orders, certificates for payment, etc. from 6 non-existent (sham) subcontractors who provided no work and no material.
Percentage of time spent as expert
Number of expert assignments / year
Listed in the Following States
Jeffrey Phillip Weinstein, AIA is listed with ExpertPages in the following jurisdictions: All US Regions and States, Canada (all Provinces).